Moving For Seniors -A Step-By-Step Guide To Getting Ready To Move In
When moving for seniors, safety is important above all else. It’s especially important to choose an experienced moving company with the right credentials. Check out the moving for seniors -a step-by-step guide to getting ready to move in.
Make a checklist
Being senior, you have some extra time on your hands, so relax and just take it all in. It’s a good idea to make a list of all the places you are planning to visit while on your moving-out date.
- On the list, write all the familiar places like your old doctor’s office, the bank, and even places you have frequented as a kid (i.e. the ice cream parlour). You’ll want to make sure that these familiar areas are on your list because you’ll need to go there more than once when you move.
- Once you have your list completed, make sure you have all your “smellies” (moving accouterments) ready. These are items such as paper products, cleaning supplies, toiletries, and anything else you think might get wrinkled during the big move. And don’t forget your family and friends.
- You may have to extend invitations to all of them, but at least make sure you let them know when you are moving in two weeks or so. Remember, moving for seniors is an experience shared by many elderly people.
- Moving out two weeks from now will help make sure you have plenty of time to pack, arrange, and wrap up. If you are moving across town, make sure you include directions to the new place. It may also help if you include maps or other useful information about your destination if it’s nearby.
- Moving for seniors requires preparation but the payoff is one less thing you have to worry about while getting older.
Communication should be at the forefront of all of our senior’s lives. Being prepared with a solid plan of action and a concrete list of all the items needing to be moved in advance will make the transition much smoother for everyone.
- Communication can come in the form of a meeting somewhere before the actual move day. A simple ‘hello,’ followed by a request for information on the specific items you need moved will provide an insight into the process and alleviate the stress of the moving day.
- Establish clear expectations and give them a deadline for the specific items they’ll be moving. Keeping things simple and realistic will ensure that your senior doesn’t feel overwhelmed.
- Make sure all of the equipment and furnishings you’d like to move are presentable when you’re ready to go.
- With an organized set of instructions and a clear roadmap of progress, any move can be successful. Your senior loved one will feel valued and cared for, and so too will you!
Pay a visit to the new home before moving
Seniors can choose to reside in their current homes till the time they find a better place. It is always better to start with the assistance of a family member or a close friend. If they are well-informed and have proper advice and assistance, they would manage the entire task easily and quickly.
- To make it easier for the elderly people to get ready for moving, they can ask for some help from their friends who are still living in the same house.
- Another option is to make use of some personal items which can be used as belongings while they are moving.
- One should also plan ahead in case there is no furniture or other essential item which can be used as part of the home decor while they are making the changes in their life. This way, the Seniors can save their old items for later use, which would make them feel at ease and look at their new home as a familiar one.
- The other option that would make the process faster is to make use of the facilities provided by the moving company that would help in the removal of items.
- There are certain rules and regulations that must be followed while making changes in one’s life. If one has to pay a visit to the new home, they must make sure that everything is in working condition.
Research the moving companies
Researching the moving companies while moving the Seniors is a vital aspect of their safety. There are many of them around who claim to be expert movers. When the elderly complain of being roughed up while they were supposed to move into their new home, these companies are duly put on trial.
- In order to get more information about these companies, you can do research online about them. There are many websites which are full of information about the various companies that are around.
- This is very important because it will help you find out whether you can trust any of these companies or not. You can compare the various offers made by different companies and then make your selection. Once this has been done, you can start the process of relocation.
- For doing the research about the moving company, you will require the help of either the friends of the seniors who have already moved away or you can take the help of the local newspapers which have a list of the various moving companies available in the area.
- There are chances that even if you get help from the newspaper, you might end up in the wrong hands. It would be better to get the assistance of a friend who knows the local areas where these companies are located. Once this is done, you can start the move away from the previous place and towards the new location.
Be careful of the seniors’ health
It is very important to make sure that your elderly are not suffering from any kind of health problem. It is possible for the family members to do all the necessary health check-ups themselves. However, this can be time-consuming and cumbersome. It would be ideal to get a home care service which will ensure that you don’t have to spend much money.
- Home care agencies offer this kind of service to take care of all the tedious tasks involved in moving an elderly person.
- They just need to notify their clients about a few basic things like checking the elderly’s health and symptoms so that they are aware of the steps to take during the move.
- They also have to arrange all the necessary things required for a quick and easy transfer.
- All the elderly people are taken care of during the move and they are moved to the new house where they will be living independently.
- All the elderly’ health-related issues will be attended to by professionals at the receiving home and later the client is given proper directions regarding how to maintain the same health conditions.
- There are a number of qualified professionals who are available in the market and working as a team to make things easy for senior citizens.
- The cost of such services is quite affordable considering the fact that the senior is treated on an everyday basis.
- You should make sure to choose the company with an excellent reputation in the market.
- Make sure that you are always provided with updated information regarding any changes in your loved ones’ health.
Prepare for packing and unpacking
Plan in advance so that you will be prepared for any unexpected events or unexpected logistics. It will not only save you time but also make the entire moving process easier and faster. These tips on how to prepare will surely help you move and forget in a jiffy.
- The first thing that you have to do when preparing for packing and unpacking seniors to a new home is to list all of your elderly family members in alphabetical order according to their last names.
- This will give an idea about how big your family is and it will also help you determine how many things you have to move around. Based on the size of your family, you should determine how many rooms and how many beds you need to pack.
- The next step you should take is to gather all of the items and furniture from your old residence. If possible, you can use your personal items like pictures, mementos, and decorations so you can easily lift them when unpacking and put them in the right place when you are moving to a new location.
- Once you have all of these items, it is time for you to start the task of mopping and cleaning up the rest of your residence.
- Make sure that your new home looks nice and neat before you start unpacking. As much as possible, do not put anything in the rooms that you do not want to see again. By doing this, you will prevent unnecessary stress during your moving experience and prevent further injuries to both you and your elders.
Sort and organise
It can be very easy to get stressed while moving seniors to a new residential property, this is because everyone wants to finish all the paperwork and the tasks in order to move in. There are few things that are more annoying than moving someone’s personal belongings into a new house only to find out that they do not have any room for them in the newly purchased house.
- All senior citizens need some sort of assistance when they are getting ready to move into the new place. Seniors who are moving into a different house can make use of the services of a personal or hired moving company to sort out the many tasks that they have to complete before moving in.
- Such services can include the packing of important documents such as medical prescriptions, family photographs, important jewellery and so on. The sort and organise while moving seniors to a new house will involve getting rid of the old furniture in an appropriate manner.
- Moving seniors might have to remove any large pictures or paintings that may no longer be useful for the purpose of decoration.
- If the senior needs assistance in sorting out and moving various smaller items into containers or boxes then they can hire from a moving company or professional moving agent.
- A personal or hired moving company or professional moving agent can sort out the tasks of moving and storing the possessions of a senior until the new home is ready. They can even help in the loading of the items and then unpacking at the new location.
- All the moving arrangements can be made at the new location itself before the senior moves in. A lot of peace of mind can be achieved by hiring an experienced and reliable moving company or individual.
Manage mails and payments
Many seniors who are planning to move to a new residence do not know how to properly handle their finances.
- A prepaid debit card can be used to make their payments and offers peace of mind. As some seniors will not get any assistance with managing their bills.
- For those who still have an account in their old home, the process of transferring the account to the new address is relatively easy.
- Any funds in the account will be transferred to the new account without additional charges.
- If the account holder has a bank account, all of the checks and money will appear in their checking account.
- It is important to ensure that the bank account is still in good standing before moving the account.
- The last thing that a person needs is to discover that they cannot access their money.
- A debit card can be used to transfer payments from a checking account to a prepaid debit card. This will keep the seniors in their home to avoid foreclosure. All of their accounts will be shown as paid on the new credit report. It is important to ensure that the prepaid card is still in good standing before withdrawing cash.
Book the movers prior
It is not that difficult to book the movers while moving seniors to a new house. Booking online is one of the best ways to save money and time. There are several companies which offer their services in this regard.
- When the professional mover arrives at your home, make sure that all the things in your home are in the proper place.
- They will pack everything for you and take it to the new home. If there are any damaged objects, you need to take them with you to the new home.
- The professional mover takes care of all this for you. You just need to give him a call to arrange for the van.
- To book the movers while moving seniors to a new house, you need to give them your mailing address, cell phone number and apartment number.
- Senior citizens prefer receiving phone calls rather than emails.
- You must also mention the mode of payment and the mode of transportation for the van. Make sure to provide the exact size of the van.
- The movers will give you a list of all the companies that offer such services and you can choose the best quote.
Contact our Removal Company at Melbourne To Move In the seniors.
If you are looking for a removal company in MelbourneAustraliathen we can provide you with the best removal services. This company offers quality moving and packing services to both small and large residential and commercial properties. They also offer packing and relocating services as well. Contact best removal company at 1800 845 100 in Melbourne to move in with the seniors.
Our company provides removal and moving services to seniors. We have tie-ups with various moving companies like Loading dock doors, International Moving, etc. We offer their complete range of removal and moving services to all these clients. All the moving and removal-related services are carried out by them in accordance with their quality guidelines. We follow international moving and removal insurance standards and adhere to all the terms and conditions imposed by international relocation organizations. We are insured to all the moving and removal-related policies.
If you are shifting to Melbourne from other parts of Australia then contact our service for their full range of moving and packing services. We will conduct a free no-obligation consultation for you. You can take our help in the entire process starting from finding a suitable loading dock.